James McCormick (1832-1917) was the second son of James and Eliza Buehler
McCormick. He received his education in the public schools, Partridge's
Military Institute, Harrisburg Academy, and graduated from Yale in 1853.
He studied law under his father and was admitted to the bars of Dauphin
and Cumberland Counties. Upon the death of his father in 1870, he gave
up his successful practice and devoted himself to he management of the
vast McCormick estate. He was active in numerous community organizations
and an elder of the Pine Street Presbyterian Church from 1858 to 1894.
He married Mary Wilson Alricks in 1859.
They had six sons and two daughters: Herman (who did not live to adulthood),
Henry, James, William, Donald, and Robert; and two daughters: Mary Kerr
(who did not live to adulthood), and Eliza.
This site is sponsored by the Center
for Pennsylvania Cultural Studies at the Pennsylvania
State University at Harrisburg, in cooperation with the Historical
Society of Dauphin County, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Director of
the McCormick Family Papers Project at the Center is Professor Michael
Learn more about the
Center, and the program that sponsors this project
Family Papers - Home
The Center for Pennsylvania Culture Studies - Home